Your TMJ Disorder Treatment Options
The jaw pain associated with TMJ disorder can impede all activities involved in the movement of your jaw, including chewing, biting, and speaking. Dr. David D. Wyse and Dr. Jay W. Chrisman of Chrisman & Wise Cosmetic & Gentle Dentistry, serving Bloomington, IL, provide complete treatment and support for patients with TMJ disorder, with several treatment options available.
What Are the Benefits of Treating TMJ Disorder?
Jaw pain can be an extremely uncomfortable condition to have. Whether it is the pain felt while eating or speaking or the irritating sounds of a misaligned jaw, TMJ disorder can significantly affect daily activities and routines. Fortunately, TMJ disorder is treatable and the benefits are long-lasting. There are several advantages of treatment, such as:
- Alleviation of jaw discomfort
- Greater enjoyment while eating, drinking, and speaking
- Protection of ears, neck, and head
- Learning about the root causes of jaw pain
- Mood enhancement and elevation
- Vast improvement in quality of life
Jaw pain and TMJ disorder can make daily activities difficult. Our doctors understand this and want to help improve your quality of life.
Symptoms and Causes of TMJ Disorder
TMJ disorder may be accompanied by an array of symptoms. It is important to identify warning signs and seek medical care quickly. Some of the most common symptoms of TMJ disorder include:
- Pain and tenderness in the jaw with more prevalence during eating, chewing, or speaking
- Pounding and aching pain around the ears
- Difficulty chewing, speaking, or eating and even an unwillingness to do such activities due to the pain
- Neck pain
- Clicking, ticking, or snapping sounds while eating, chewing, or speaking
- Locking of the jaw or difficulty opening and closing the mouth
- Intense pain in the temporomandibular joints
Treatment Options for TMJ Disorder
Once Dr. Chrisman or Dr. Wyse have identified the symptoms of your jaw pain, the next step is to discuss medical care. There are several treatment options available that can alleviate the pain associated with your jaw. Treatment options for TMJ disorder include:
- Oral devices: Oral appliance therapy involves the use of a mouthguard, which helps stabilize the joint and places the jaw in a more favorable position.
- Medication: The doctor may prescribe various medications for pain management and treatment.
- Jaw exercises: Doctor-approved exercises may be prescribed for jaw pain. It is important to follow the instructions for the exercises given. The doctor may provide diagrams of these exercises, to help promote healing and ensure correct execution.
- Surgery: Usually used as a last resort, surgical procedures may be necessary to correct jaw misalignment.
Eliminate TMJ Disorder Jaw Pain
Jaw pain and TMJ disorder can make daily activities difficult. Our doctors understand this and want to help improve your quality of life. With decades of experience treating TMJ disorder, they provide complete treatment and on-going support for your condition. Furthermore, they offer payment plans to help with the expense of treatment and therapy. With the most innovative and ground-breaking technologies and methods, you can rest assured you will receive the highest level of care available at our practice. Contact Chrisman & Wise Cosmetic & Gentle Dentistry online or call (309) 663-6393 to schedule an appointment today.